Tiles for outdoors - a real eye-catcherWould you like to embellish your outdoor area or your terrace with the right tiles? We are happy to help you choose the perfect tile.
What types are there?
- Perforated and block stones: These types of stone are suitable for a chic wall design, are inexpensive and weather resistant.
- Concrete: Curbs in particular are often made from concrete. Concrete is cheap, particularly easy to care for and incredibly easy to lay.
- Wood: The rustic look of wooden tiles creates a cozy ambience in a very natural way. Wood tiles are environmentally friendly, recyclable and easy to lay thanks to their plug-in function.
- Volcanic stone: terrace slabs made of volcanic stone are particularly aesthetic and give your terrace a modern look. They are non-slip and frost-resistant and also to a large extent insensitive to acidic cleaning agents.
- Metamorphic rocks (marble, slate, quartzite): Metamorphic rocks have a very resistant nature and are extremely durable.
- Deep rock (granite): has a particularly dense stone structure and is very robust.
- Sedimentary rocks (travertine stone, limestone, sandstone): are somewhat softer in structure and require particularly careful maintenance.
How are tiles properly cared for?
Concrete-. Wood tiles and stone walls can be washed off without hesitation and processed with any broom. Most natural stone tiles, however, require a little more care. Softer natural stone tiles made of limestone, for example, should not be swept with bristles that are too hard. The hard bristles could destroy the beautiful structure and design of the tile. Tiles made of softer natural stone are particularly absorbent, which can lead to discoloration and unsightly stains more quickly, so you should act with foresight immediately after laying and have the natural stone tiles impregnated. The impregnation also protects the tiles and almost completely eliminates absorbency. The following applies to all materials: If liquids have had enough time to soak into the tile, the formation of stains cannot always be avoided.If this should occur, simply use a mild stone care product that is tailored to the material to clean more stubborn stains. Most natural stone tiles are very sensitive to acidic cleaners, so if you leave out these types of cleaners, you are on the safe side. An acidic cleaner can lead to severe discolouration, which you usually cannot get out.
Which material is right for you?
If you don't want to invest so much time in maintenance, you should rather use the more robust materials such as concrete, volcanic rock or slate. If the color plays the most important role for you, however, it is possible that you will have to resort to a softer material such as limestone, as not every material is available in all color variants. There are also a few last important tips for choosing the color. If you opt for a particularly light color, discoloration and dirt generally have a larger attack surface. If you opt for particularly dark colors, the tiles can get very hot in summer, so a healthy average is usually recommended.
What are the reasons for choosing natural stone tiles?
Natural stone tiles are a little more expensive than, for example, concrete and Co., but they are available in a wide variety of colors. Great designs with mosaic patterns are also possible. Mosaic tiles have always been popular both indoors and outdoors. With natural stone tiles, the individual design is entirely up to you. Natural stone tiles can be a little more difficult to care for, but when laid correctly, most natural stone tiles are both water and frost-resistant, so there is no reason to fear large cracks and cracks. Slate tiles even repair small scratches by themselves over time. For the best result, the natural stone tiles should be laid on a bed of gravel and natural stone tiles made of travertine should be allowed to keep their indentations and not be filled.
With wall and floor tiles you can give your outdoor area a great, individual look. If installed correctly and if any incompatibilities are observed, even more sensitive materials are easy to clean and maintain.